Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thing 19

Web 2.0 Awards is a great compilation of fabulous tools. Thus, the tool I chose was actually they entire list. I know, I know...cheating just a little, but I couldn't resist. There are just too many good resources that I couldn't just pick one. I tagged this list using my Delicious tags and plan come back to it as a need for a certain tool comes up.

What is special about the tool?
It is a comprehensive list of the best of tools and can help you fill any need you have. It is well organized by category and has several choices (in ranking order) for each category. If the first choice doesn't work for you, there are two more good options.

What are its useful parts, especially with regards to Libraries and school?
I think its organization makes it particularly useful. Each category is well labeled and the alphabetical order makes it easy to navigate. Also, I like that the awards were ranked, so that there is more than one choice for each category. Moreover, I like the variety of awards given. There are many sites for professional use, but also for personal use.

How might you use this tool in your own setting?
This is a great reference tool, so I plan to use it when various needs arise. I also plan to share this list with colleagues so they can easily find online tools. I have already emailed it to my dad so he can use it.

Some sites I particularly enjoyed:
For fun--One Sentence. A site with "true stories told in one sentence" The first one caught my eye and made me laugh so I had to keep reading. "I lost all faith in my doctor the day I saw him use Web-MD to diagnose me. "
For travel--Farecast. An easy tool to search for airfare and other travel needs. I enjoy traveling and have used many sites to search and book flights, but this one somehow seems better than the ones I have used. It is simple and fast and I like the "farecast technology" meter that gives you a green, yellow, or red arrow if you should book it. (I don't know how reliable the meter is, but seems like a good idea)
For philantropy-Care2. A well organized website with different causes and news, petitions (don't know that I'll use this part) and my favorite, a healthy and green living section. Anyone who knows me, knows that I like to be conscious of being green and living healthfully.This site provides different lists of tips, blogs, and everything in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment