Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thing 20

Video embeding. I have been wondering how to do this since learning how to put pictures on my blog. I have used You Tube a lot and it was great for when I wanted to show my children little videos of what Australia looked like during our study in the spring. If a picture is worth 1,000 words, what is a video worth?


Oh my goodness! It actually worked on the first try! This is so exciting. You Tube makes it so easy because they give you the URL and the code for embedding on the right side of the screen. They even give you different choices of sizes and colors for the borders. Isn't technology great! I like this video because while it is an advertisement it shows the different terrain in Australia. I was trying to get my students to realize how big and diverse Australia is and this video would help toward that end.

YouTube can be quite overwhelming, so wouldn't be great to create a blog (or other document) and embed the videos (and pictures) I need for my lessons right there. Even when I know what videos I want to show it can take a little bit to pull them up in class, so this would be a fabulous way to have everything ready to go!

TeacherTube is another great resource and I am happy to discover this site. I found this little video about even and odd numbers.


It isn't great quality, but I like that it is short and a different way for the children to learn about even and odd numbers. We spend time using manipulatives, talking about, and playing with why numbers are even and odd and this could be just one more tool in the toolbox to help toward their understanding.

I was surprised how easy it was for me to embed these videos...wait I take it back. There is some sort of HTML error for my TeacherTube video...thus, I can only provide the link for this one. I don't really know enough about the code to know what is wrong. It could be one little character off. However, YouTube and TeacherTube made it easy by clearly providing the URL and the embedding code. I hope this wasn't just beginners luck and that next time I go to do this it will still be this easy on YouTube.

OK, so I tried to find another video just in case it was that video for some reason...still didn't work, but I found this funny video on TeacherTube about Top 10 Things You Didn't Learn About Teaching in College.

Any suggestions for embedding videos from TeacherTube?

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth, I loved the Top Ten video. And I just saw your cool avatar for the first time, too. Love that lab! And the recycle bin and, most especially the yellow duckie!

    ReplyDelete