Friday, July 24, 2009

Thing 7

I think my life has now been changed by cool Google tools! I am so excited about the Google Alerts, I can't wait to receive my first alert! I tested it out be receiving alerts about The University of Georgia football (seeing as fall is quickly approaching) and autism research. I may have to go back and manage my alerts once I start receiving them.

I also enjoyed the iGoogle home page. I am not as good about checking news, weather, email...etc as I should be, so this is really convenient to have everything in one place. I even put Spanish word of the day and places to see on there to keep me culturally up to date as well. Also, changing the theme to my home page was fun. I put it on earthscapes so I can feel that I am outside even when I am sitting in front of the computer.

Google calendar seemed quite convenient. My family and I always have trouble matching up our calendars and knowing when people are going to be where, so this would be great to keep us all on the same page...ha, ha didn't even mean to make that pun.

And love Google Scholar! Since leaving grad school and not having the free access to the databases available there, I have been needing to find other ways to get scholarly articles. This is so exciting! I know I will use this site to keep up with recent articles.

Oh wow, too many good things to write about because I love the Google Advance Search too! I can spend many hours searching for something on Google, and this will certainly help to narrow it down. I love that you can search for Powerpoint presentations, PDFs, Excel or Word documents only...I have just created a folder on my Bookmarks Toolbar will all the Cool Google Tools. Wohoo!

2 comments:

  1. My son searched for PowerPoint presentations and/or templates that he could use in his upper school history classes, and found a great template that he could modify in many ways. He also discovered a pretty sophisticated Jeopardy game template that was amazing for class use! Searching is definitely going to improve instruction in his classes this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly the kind of search I am looking forward to!

    ReplyDelete